Does it get much better than…
- hearing the pitter patter of little feet race to the door the moment you step in from work?
- listening to the rapid and undiscernable 5 minute ramble of the day’s events gush from your toddler as she greets your return?
- hearing her recite the latest animal sound she has mastered?
- watching the unquenchable sweetness of your daughter manifest itself in saying a polite but urgent “bye…. bye!’ to excrement as it is flushed down the toilet?
- feeling the love of an entirely unprompted “kissy” planted on your cheek?
- hearing your little girl laugh uncontrollably as you push her in the swing?
- being alarmed by the ways your little one is already copying your behaviour with precision?
- wrapping a beautiful wife, daughter and an “on the way” little one into your arms in one, big, family hug?
These are moments of pure joy. Children are a blessing from God; a sign of His grace to us.
There are certainly moments where being a parent isn’t so delightful, but they do pale in comparison to the delight that kids bring. We certainly have our days… and I know full well that the day is coming when rather than a cool, “buckets-of-fun” dad, my kids will think I am that weird old guy. So, for now, I’m going to enjoy every moment of it. And I truly do believe, children are a gift from God.
So, what about you? When you think of parenting, how would you finish the statement: Does it get much better than…?
I’d love to hear from you. Just one line. It’ll take less than a minute. In what ways do your kids bring you joy? Does it get much better than…?